【FUNDAY 時事英文】「鬼月」注意事項 | 學習 | Funday

Things To Watch Out For During “Ghost Month”

「鬼月」注意事項

 

Gwen and Carl are talking about the Taiwanese Ghost Month traditions. 

關恩和卡爾在聊台灣鬼月傳統習俗。

 

Gwen: Does your family celebrate Ghost Month? 

關恩:你家會慶祝鬼月嗎?

 

Carl: It’s not really something to be celebrated, is it? 

卡爾:這不是什麼要慶祝的事情吧?

 

Gwen: You know what I mean! Do you do the rituals and stuff? 

關恩:你知道我意思啦!你會做ㄧ些祭拜等等之類的嗎?

 

Carl: Yeah, we do the basic things to show our respects. 

卡爾:會啊,我們會做一些基本的事來表達我們的尊敬。

 

Gwen: Did you know that you shouldn’t pray inside the house or else the ghosts might come in? 

關恩:你知道不能在房子裡面拜拜要不然好兄弟可能會進來嗎?

 

Carl: Yeah. You’re also not supposed to offer bananas, pears, plums, or pineapples because 

they sound like “please come in” in Taiwanese. 

卡爾:知道啊。而且也不能供奉香蕉、梨子、李子或是鳳梨,因為它們聽起來很像台語的「招你來」。

 

Gwen: And you shouldn’t burn too much paper money or the ghosts might stick with you. 

關恩:而且也不能燒太多紙錢,要不然好兄弟可能會一直跟著你。

 

Carl: And you can’t say your own name during prayers either. 

卡爾:而且拜拜的時候也不能說出自己的名字。

 

Gwen: All of these rules are bothersome, but also really interesting! 

關恩:這些規矩都好麻煩,但是也真的滿有趣的!

 

Carl: I think the one rule I hate the most is not being allowed to wear black. Most of my clothes are black! 

卡爾:我覺得我唯一最討厭的規矩就是不能穿黑色。我大部分的衣服都是黑的! 

 

 

單字

 

tradition (n.) 習俗

respect (n.) 敬意

pray (v.) 祈禱

offer (v.) 供奉

rule (n.) 規矩

 

 

片語學習

 

1. or else 或者、要不然

or是介係詞,指的是「或者」的意思;else則是副詞,是「其他地」的意思。若是要警告某人不做某件事會有某種下場時,就能用or else來帶出這個壞下場。or else就是像我們中文裡所說的或者、要不然。

You have to put on sunblock, or else you will get sunburnt.

你一定要擦防曬,要不然你會曬傷的。

 

2. be allowed to do sth. 被准許做某事

動詞allow即指准許。to allow somebody to V.即指准許某人做某事,也指使某人、讓某人得以做某事。被動型態是be allowed to do something。

You are not allowed to have a girlfriend now.

你現在還不能交女朋友。

 

 

 

台東地檢署失去意譯

 

我要留言